More Places I Hang Out

Quid Pro Quills - A Group of 6 Writers... Writing!
Twin Willows Farm - My Farm and Fiber Arts Webpage
Great Lakes ACFW Chapter - My Local Chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers

Subscribe Via E-Mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Copyright by Pegg Thomas 2009-2015

Blogroll

free counter
Apr 20, 2014
Daisies Are ForeverDaisies Are Forever by Liz Tolsma
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I haven't read a lot of WWII era novels, but those I have read have challenged my views on that war. Daisies are Forever is no exception. What I like about this one is that it's based on two true stories of women who lived through the Russian invasion of Germany. This was a time when ordinary people overcame extraordinary circumstances - and that always makes for a good story!

Gisela Cramer just wants to go home, away from the Russians, away from Germany, back to America where she grew up. But her father is fighting in the German army and her mother is alone in Berlin. Encumbered with her cousin's two little girls and her neighbor's befuddled elderly sisters, Gisela sets out one step ahead of the Russians for Berlin. Along the way she collects a one-armed German soldier, a British escaped POW, and a Marlene Dietrich wanna-be. Amid the bullets, bombs, and brutal conditions, Gisela strives to keep everyone together. A job too big for anyone - but God - in WWII Germany.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to broaden their views of WWII and what happened to everyday people at that time. It's eye-opening. Due to the subject matter, the brutality of war, and the stark way it is presented in this story, age 16 and up would be my recommendation.

Release date for this book is May 8th! I received an advance copy for this review. 


2 comments:

Liz Tolsma said...

Thanks so much for the great review! This is the story of my heart that I've wanted to write for a long time.

Pegg Thomas said...

I thoroughly enjoyed it. You left Kurt hanging "out there" at the end of the story, he was the only one that didn't wrap up at the end. Dare we think there could be a sequel where we learn what happens with him?