More Places I Hang Out

Quid Pro Quills - A Group of 6 Writers... Writing!
Twin Willows Farm - My Farm and Fiber Arts Webpage
Great Lakes ACFW Chapter - My Local Chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers

Subscribe Via E-Mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Copyright by Pegg Thomas 2009-2015

Blogroll

free counter
Sep 3, 2011
It's true. My parents did irreparable damage to me in my formative years. They didn't mean to. They were acting in what they thought was my best interest. I will spend the rest of my life, however, dealing with the consequences.

This morning I'm canning another nine jars of string beans. I have enough string beans canned this year to see us through the next two winters. And yet our bean plants are still producing. If I was smart, I'd pull the bean plants and stop this wearying cycle. But I can't. Why? Here's where my parents come into the equation. There are starving children in China.


Many of you are nodding your heads now. You know what I mean. As children, we were guilted into not wasting what others were dying for the lack of. And now here I am in my hot and humid kitchen, standing over hot water and scalding steam, preserving string beans no Chinese child will ever see.


But life is good and God is great and soon the snow will fly.

2 comments:

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Nodding. However, I haven't yet started washing the plastic silverware to save for the next BBQ or picnic, and so far I have also stopped short of washing and re-using the tinfoil.

Pegg Thomas said...

I don't buy plastic silverware, I don't wash the aluminum foil, but I do wash out the ziplock bags... *sigh*