More Places I Hang Out

Quid Pro Quills - A Group of 6 Writers... Writing!
Twin Willows Farm - My Farm and Fiber Arts Webpage
Great Lakes ACFW Chapter - My Local Chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers

Subscribe Via E-Mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Copyright by Pegg Thomas 2009-2015

Blogroll

free counter
Jan 3, 2015
Killing Jesus: A HistoryKilling Jesus: A History by Bill O'Reilly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My son gave me this book for Christmas, so it zoomed to the top of my "to read" pile. This is the first book by O'Reilly/Dugard that I've read, but I also plan to read Killing Lincoln and Killing Patton. I saw the film made from Killing Kennedy and it was very good. Being a history geek ... what's not to like?!

Since this was a gift, I came into it without a lot of preconceived notions. I didn't even read the back cover. But still, I was surprised that by the way it was written. O'Reilly/Dugard took the long view of the history surrounding what I would say is the most pivotal moment in history.

The book starts years before the birth of Jesus. It explores the political realities of the Roman empire in quite a bit of depth. I can almost guarantee you'll learn more about the depravities of the elite in Rome than you ever wanted to know. But it does set up the basis for how Jesus could be crucified - legally at that time.

I understand why some Christians did not like this book. It leaves out much of the gospel accounts. I'm okay with that, because I've read the gospels. What O'Reilly/Dugard included, according to the note from the authors, were the gospel portions that they could cross-reference with other ancient documentation. I found what they could do that with quite fascinating.

If I could, I'd give this 4.5 stars, but that's not allowed. The writing gets a little dry in a few places, so I can't give it the full 5. But even so, if you have any interest in this subject, you should read the book.

0 comments: