More Places I Hang Out

Quid Pro Quills - A Group of 6 Writers... Writing!
Twin Willows Farm - My Farm and Fiber Arts Webpage
Great Lakes ACFW Chapter - My Local Chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers

Subscribe Via E-Mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Copyright by Pegg Thomas 2009-2015

Blogroll

free counter
Jan 12, 2015
Emissary (Legends of the Realm, #1)Emissary by Thomas Locke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had not read a good fantasy novel in a long time. I enjoy the genre when it's done well, and Emissary is done well. It has all the elements of a good fantasy tale. There is a hero who is honorable and steadfast. The hero has a quest that is shrouded in a mystery. There is an older wizard (okay, not a mandatory element, but one I like) who mentors the hero. And there are clear lines between good and evil. Fantasy that smudges that line won't work for me.

Hyam begins his journey by honoring his mother's last request. He discovers a truth about himself that shakes his world. It also requires that he leave his home and everything he's ever known. Mysterious things start happening to him and around him. He discovers the world is not what he had learned it was. People thought long dead are not. Myth and fact mix together in a confusing array of events that draw Hyam to his ultimate purpose.

Emissary is a very good story with wonderful characters. I'm withholding one star because parts of it lacks clarity, or explanation, of unfolding events. While the mystery aspect is definitely part of the story, I was at times a little frustrated over that lack of clarity.

The end of the book includes the first couple of chapters of the sequel - and I will be reading it when it comes out.

1 comments:

albina N muro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.