More Places I Hang Out

Quid Pro Quills - A Group of 6 Writers... Writing!
Twin Willows Farm - My Farm and Fiber Arts Webpage
Great Lakes ACFW Chapter - My Local Chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers

Subscribe Via E-Mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Copyright by Pegg Thomas 2009-2015

Blogroll

free counter
Jan 12, 2014
The Quaker and the Rebel (Civil War Heroines, #1)The Quaker and the Rebel by Mary Ellis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked this story. It's different, not your stereotypical North vs South Civil War romance. The hero is a southern aristocrat and the heroine is a northern farmer's daughter who happens to be an abolitionist to boot. Plenty of drama right there. Toss in the Underground Railroad, a clandestine cavalry unit, some freed slaves and it just gets better.

Historically speaking, it's a little shaky in a couple of areas, but nothing that seriously detracts from the story. It was just enough to make my inner history geek do a quick cringe before I read on.

There are interesting characters in this story, especially some of the secondary characters. I've read other books by Mary Ellis and she always brings in good, strong secondary characters to round out the story. I love that. An easy book to recommend for any age.

0 comments: