More Places I Hang Out

Quid Pro Quills - A Group of 6 Writers... Writing!
Twin Willows Farm - My Farm and Fiber Arts Webpage
Great Lakes ACFW Chapter - My Local Chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers

Subscribe Via E-Mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Copyright by Pegg Thomas 2009-2015

Blogroll

free counter
May 7, 2012
While Mortals SleepWhile Mortals Sleep by Jack Cavanaugh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This one deserves a 5 star rating. I will read this book again. A powerful story about the lives of Christians during the beginnings of WWII. Wow. Wow. So much we don't think about when we think of that war.

Jack Cavanaugh writes a wonderful and disturbing story of a pastor, his family, and his church in these turbulent times. It's not an easy story to read. The reader is sucked into the lives of these people, cheers for them, is disappointed by them, is amazed by them, and feels the fear and angst of the times flowing through each chapter.

No spoilers here but I'm anxious to read the other two books in this trilogy. My son has finished them all and he's as taken with the story as I am. He's a history teacher and confirms that the actual historical facts in here are true. Whether we wish they were or not.

I recommend this one for upper teens and older due to the disturbing - albeit true - events that occur. Powerful. Thoughtful. A good lesson for people too young to remember what happens when one man - or one party - garners too much power. "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." You owe it to your parents and grandparents who fought in the War to read this one.

0 comments: